Common Technical Issues and Solutions
Watch tutorial videos that cover how to get started in our application system, including creating an account and accessing an application: SLM Applicant Resources
Our best advice with any technical error: Save your work, log out and log back in. If the problem persists, please contact us.
No access code is required to access our application. On the ‘Apply’ page, locate the blue ‘Apply’ button (pictured below) in the upper right corner to start an application.
If you need to step away from the application for more than 5 minutes, be sure to click ‘Save Application’ at the bottom of the application and log out. Our application system autosaves, but this is best practice to ensure your work is not lost or tampered with.
When you enter a website or an email address in our application:
- There should be no spaces before or after the link/address.
- Websites need to be in a url format, such as www.roundhousefoundation.org or https://roundhousefoundation.org/
- In most sections of the application, website links will not be live. The only response where a website link will be live is the “Where can we view more of your work?” question in the ‘Representation of Work’ question group.
References: Our application will ask for at least two (and maximum three) references. Follow the steps below to add references to your application. We estimate it takes 10-15 minutes to complete the reference section.
- Enter the email address for the person who will serve as your reference.
- Click ‘Compose Email.’
- Write a brief email to the reference. We recommend including your name and a note that all references are due by Oct 5.
- Click ‘Send.’
- In addition to your email, the system will automatically send the reference a second email that contains their link to log in and complete the applicable questions.
Troubleshooting the reference section: There should be no spaces before or after the address.
All applications are due by 11:59PM the day of the deadline. However, for our 2024 Residency Application, we will accept references until October 5.
If you were asked to be a reference and are running into issues: Contact us and we will be happy to help.
Character Limits: We appreciate brevity in your responses and have included length expectations for your response to each question. Please note this application uses character limits to measure the length of responses. The character limit includes spaces.
It may be helpful to consider the character limit in relation to a word and/or page count. The estimates below are based on a rough average of 6 characters per word:
- 1,500 characters = 250 words or .5 page single-spaced
- 500 characters = 80 words
- 250 characters = 40 words
File Limits: Our application system is limited in the amount of media that can be uploaded to each application. Please note the file size limits for each ‘File Upload’ space in the ‘Representation of Work’ section of this application. If a file is larger than 5 MiB (about 5 MB), please include a link to the media, with any corresponding access instructions (e.g. if a password is required).